[Gluster-users] Diamond metrics collector

Charles Williams chuck at itadmins.net
Wed Mar 16 13:24:00 UTC 2016

On Mi, 2016-03-16 at 14:07 +0100, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:51:52AM +0100, Charles Williams wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > Finally took the time to hammer out a Diamond metrics collector.
> > It's
> > currently functional beta (in production on one of our gluster
> > clusters). Would like to get some help testing it a bit. So if you
> > have Diamond collecting metrics for you then try it out.
> >
> > https://wiki.itadmins.net/filesystems/glusterfs_diamond_metrics
>
> I'm missing a little detail here. I've never heard of "Diamond
> metrics"
> before. A little duckduckgo'ing suggests that it would be this
> project:
>
>   https://github.com/python-diamond/Diamond
>
> That sounds very interesting. Monitoring is something every
> environment
> needs and each one has different requirements. Diamond support for
> Gluster can definitely use some examples.
>
> Do you think you could write a blog post or wiki article that
> contains
> screenshots or so? It also may be very helpful to get your collector
> included in the standard Diamond installation. Have you thought about
> sending it to the python-Diamond project?
>
> Thanks!
> Niels

Niels,

Anyone needing this collector knows what diamond is already. ;)

But I guess I could have added a bit of context for those NOT in the
know. And that is the correct project. It used to belong to BrighCove
but they gave it up a while ago.

I have to admit, it is a great metrics collection suit. Very lite-
weight, fast and extensible.

There isn't a lot to explain but will see if I can clear some time to
write a short something about it. Will also be submitting it for
inclusion in the package as soon as I feel there are no major issues
(hence the call for testers).

Chuck