[Gluster-users] Improving subdir export for NFS-Ganesha

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 06:53:28 UTC 2016

On 03/15/2016 11:48 AM, Jiffin Tony Thottan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The subdir export is one of key features for NFS server. NFS-ganesha
> have already supports subdir export,
>  but it has lot of limitations when it is intregrated with gluster.
>
> Current Implementation :
> Following steps are required for a subdir export
> * export volume using ganesha.enable option
> * edit the export configuration file by adding subdir options
> * do refresh-config in that node using ganesha-ha.sh
> * limitation : multiple directories cannot be exported at a time via
> script.
>                    If user to need to do that(it is possible), all the
> steps should be done in manually
>                    which includes creating export conf file, use latest
> export id, include it in ganesha conf etc.
>                    And also here it become mandatory to export root
> before exporting subdir.
>
> Suggested approach :
>
> * Introduce new volume set command  "ganesha.subdir" which will handle
> above mentioned issue cleanly
>    for example, gluster volume set <volname> ganesha.subdir
> <path1,path2,path3 ...>
>    if u want to unexport path2, use the same command  with mentioning path2
>    gluster volume set <volname> ganesha.subdir <path1,path3 ...>.(Is
> different option required ?)
How do you handle a case where you have to unexport all the paths?
>    The root of the volume should be export only using ganesha.enable
> options.
>    This require a lot of additions in glusterd code base and minor
> changes in snapshot functionality.
Could you detail out what all changes will be required in glusterd
codebase when volume set ganesha.subdir <list of path> is executed?
Based on that we can only take a call whether its feasible to take this
in 3.7.x or move it to 3.8.