[Gluster-users] Small files performance

Gmail b.s.mikhael at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:34:06 UTC 2016

> On Jun 1, 2016, at 1:25 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Il 01 giu 2016 22:06, "Gmail" <b.s.mikhael at gmail.com <mailto:b.s.mikhael at gmail.com>> ha scritto:
> > stat() on NFS, is just a single stat() from the client to the storage node, then all the storage nodes in the same replica group talk to each other using libgfapi (no FUSE overhead)
> >
> > conclusion, I’d prefer NFS over FUSE with small files.
> > drawback, NFS HA is more complicated to setup and maintain than FUSE.
>
> NFS HA with ganesha should be easier than kernel NFS
>
> Skipping the whole fuse stack should be good also for big files

with big files, i don’t notice much difference in performance for NFS over FUSE
> with nfs replication is made directly by gluster servers with no client involved?

correct
> In this case would be possibile to split the gluster networks with 10gb used for replication and multiple 1gb bonded for clients.

don’t forget the complication of Ganesha HA setup, pacemaker is pain in the butt.
> I can see only advantage for nfs over native gluster
>
> One question: with no gluster client that always know on which node a single file is located, who is telling nfs where to find the required file? Is nfs totally distributed with no "gateway"/"proxy" or any centralized server?

the NFS client talks to only one NFS server (the one which it mounts), the NFS HA setup is only to failover a virtual IP to another healthy node. so the NFS client will just do 3 minor timeouts then it will do a major timeout, when that happens, the virtual IP failover will be already done.