[Gluster-users] Expand distributed replicated volume

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 15:31:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I realize I just repeated the same example in different words but I hope
> this answers
> > your questions. So do let us know if something is not clear.
>
> Is unclear, probably because i don't understand how gluster works and
> because I don't
> understand why was designed like this. Having to replace bricks just
> to add a single
> server and not multiple servers due to the replica count, is absolutely
> unclear.
>

> Any other scale-out storage allows this natively.

Generally most of these systems have a dedicated metadata server where for
each file they store on which servers(replicas) the file is stored. In
gluster there is no metadata server, while it gives flexibility in some
other ways, In this aspect it becomes a bit rigid. The steps I gave above
eventually achieve the same thing. Another way to solve this problem is to
flip the order of replication and distribution layers but that will need a
lot of subsystems to be tested thoroughly.

--
Pranith