[Gluster-users] Expand distributed replicated volume

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Tue Jul 12 10:43:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta <
gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you add 6 new disks to the cluster by bringing in a new node with
> replica
> > count 3 you are essentially are adding 2 replica sets. Since you can't
> have
> > replica sets with bricks from same node, we need to get empty bricks from
> > other nodes which require replace-brick operation.
>
> If I replace existing bricks, i'm not adding free space but only move
> data around.

True. But at the end of 4 replace-bricks, you have 4 bricks from earlier
configuration which are empty now, which can be re-used. So essentially you
have 6 empty bricks which can be put back into use, but these can be used
to form replica sets as they are not from same machine. So you add-brick 2
replica sets with these 6 bricks and do rebalance. Makes sense?

--
Pranith