[Gluster-users] New cluster - first experience

Gandalf Corvotempesta gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:52:22 UTC 2016

> Yes. However maildir involves many tens of thousands of small & large files,
> I *think* that glusters performances isn't the best with very large numbers
> of files in a dir, but hopefully someone else with more experience can chime
> in on that.

Performance for maildir shoul not be much important, I think.
I can also create a VM with the mail server, in this case, on gluster
i'll put the VM image and not the plain maildir, but I prefere the
first solution.

> That does sound slow - how big was the tar file? what is your network speed
> and setup?

I've used the 4.7-rc6 from here: https://www.kernel.org/
Gigabit network

# gluster volume info

Volume Name: gv0
Type: Replicate
Volume ID: 2a36dc0f-1d9b-469c-82de-9d8d98321b83
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 3
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: 77.95.175.112:/export/sdb1/brick
Brick2: 77.95.175.113:/export/sdb1/brick
Brick3: 77.95.175.114:/export/sdb1/brick
Options Reconfigured:
features.shard: on
transport.address-family: inet
performance.readdir-ahead: on
nfs.disable: on

> Not sure. Disperse Replicated vol maybe?

Is disperse based on erasure code ?
I've read that erasure code store the encoded file, I don't like
to store encoded file, in case of issue, the encoding could lead
to a mess.

> If you're not using a dual or better bonded connection on replica 3 then
> your write speeds will be limited to 1Gb/3 max.

Ok.

> Are your clients on the storage nodes or are they dedicated?

I'm using a dedicated client.