[Gluster-users] New cluster - first experience

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:22:04 UTC 2016

On 7/07/2016 8:30 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> 1) Can I use the same cluster for both, maildir hosting and VM images hosting?

Yes. However maildir involves many tens of thousands of small & large
files, I *think* that glusters performances isn't the best with very
large numbers of files in a dir, but hopefully someone else with more
experience can chime in on that.

> 2) a simple kernel extract (with replica 3) is
> sloooooooooooooooooooow. Direct extract in a brick took 12 seconds.
> Extract through gluster (replica 3) took 10m2.214s. In a perfect
> world, it should be 3 times the direct extraction (due to the replica)
> plus a little bit overhead for the network. Can I optimize this ?

That does sound slow - how big was the tar file? what is your network
speed and setup?

> 3) I'm thinking creating a volume for Maildir, with no sharding, and 1
> volume for VM hosting in the future (with sharding enabled). Is this
> OK?

Yes, sounds like a good idea.

> 4) I would like to get replica 3 for all, but also the ability to add
> 1 brick/server per time and not in multiple (in our case, 3 server
> every time), like Ceph does. Is this a supported configuration?

Not sure. Disperse Replicated vol maybe?

> 5) currently i'm testing gluster on a gigabit network (not bonded,
> it's just a test). When running in production, i'll move to 10GbE but
> currently I would like to get the best performance from the gigabit
> network.

If you're not using a dual or better bonded connection on replica 3 then
your write speeds will be limited to 1Gb/3 max.

> some hardware info: currently 2x E5-2603, 16GB RAM on each storage node.

Are your clients on the storage nodes or are they dedicated?

--
Lindsay Mathieson