[Gluster-users] replace brick in distributed-dispersed setup

itlinux_team itlinux at imppc.org
Wed Jul 6 11:03:54 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm doing some testings with glusterfs in a virtualized environment
running a 3 x (8 + 4) distributed-dispersed volume simulating a 3 node
cluster with 12 drives per node configuration. The system versions are:

OS: Debian jessie kernel 3.16

Gluster:  3.8.0-2 installed from the gluster.org debian repository

I have tested the node failure scenario while some clients are running
some read/write operations and the setup works as expected. Now I'm
trying to test how to replace a faulty drive on this setup, however I'm
not able to replace a brick. To test it I have:

1: Find the pid of the brick I'd like to 'fail' and kill the process.
(tried removing the drive from the host but that would make the whole
guest unresponsive)

2: Attach a new virtual drive, format and mount it

3: Try the gluster volume replace-brick command

And I'm getting the following error:

gluster volume replace-brick vol_1 glusterserver1:/ext/bricks/brick-1
glusterserver1:/ext/bricks/brick-13 commit force
volume replace-brick: failed: Fuse unavailable
  Replace-brick failed

I assume I'm doing something wrong but don't know what exactly. Looking
in the documentation I have not found information about brick
replacement in distributed-dispersed setups.

Thanks!

Iñaki