[Gluster-users] disperse volume and its relation to xlators/cluster/ec

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Feb 17 07:35:25 UTC 2016

Hi jayakrishnan,

the old implementation was not finally accepted to be included in main
glusterfs tree, so it was rewritten in what now is known as ec.

disperse is an alias for ec. They are the same. The algorithm
implemented is Reed-Solomon. It's really similar to ida (we could say
that ida is a specific implementation of a Reed-Solomon code).

Almost all basic functionality in old code is implemented in new ec in
some way, though not using the same approaches. Anyway the latest
implementation is way more stable and maintained, while the old code has
been abandoned and should not be used.

Regards,

Xavi