[Gluster-users] disperse volume and its relation to xlators/cluster/ec

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 05:23:55 UTC 2016

On 02/17/2016 09:42 AM, jayakrishnan mm wrote:
> Dear  Xavier,
>
> I am trying to understand the disperse  translator  and its  usage.
>
> From
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2014-01/txttzloLYIJOh.txt
> , I see  there  are  four  components namely gfsys,dfc,ida and  heal
> which needs  to  be  compiled  with GlusterFS main source code.
> I am  confused  this with xlator/cluster/ec.   What is the
> relationship  between this  and  the disperse volume components
> mentioned  earlier ?
>  Is   xlator/cluster/ec  is  erasure coding (ec) translator
> implementation  in glusterFS ? If yes, which algorithm it implements ?
> ( I know  disperse  volume implements IDA)
> Pls. help

hi Jayakrishnan,
         While Xavi replies to this mail, here are my inputs. I am not
very familiar with the old code because I didn't get a chance to look at
them deeply. But I do know about dfc. All the code of disperse volume is
in 'xlators/cluster/ec'. At the moment EC is using synchronization
similar to afr for now, so dfc is not in upstream yet. Heal in ec is
also changed similar to afr and is done automatically by glustershd, so
the functionality of 'heal' I think is implemented in
ec-heal.c(Healing), ec-heald.c (automatic healing part). Did I get that
right Xavi?

Pranith