[Gluster-users] Backup of 48126852 files / 9.1 TB data

Nico Schottelius nico-gluster-users at schottelius.org
Sun Feb 14 09:56:59 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

we have a 2 brick setup running on a raid6 with 19T storage.

We are currently facing the problem that the backup (9.1 TB data in
48126852 files) is taking more than a week when being backed up by
means of rsync (actually, ccollect[0]).

During backup the rsync process is continously in D state (expected),
but cpu load is far from 100% and disk is also only about 15-30% busy.

(this is snapshot from right now)

I have two questions, the second one more important:

    a) Is there a good way to identify the bottleneck?
    b) Is it "safe" to backup data directly from the underlying
      filesystem instead of going via the glusterfs mount?

The reason why I ask about (b) is that we used to backup from those
servers *before* we switched to glusterfs within about a day and thus
I suspect backing up from the xfs filesystem again should do the job.

Thanks for any hints,

Nico

[0] http://www.nico.schottelius.org/software/ccollect/

--