[Gluster-users] Upgrading ancient gluster version

Dietmar Putz putz at 3qmedien.net
Fri Feb 12 13:26:08 UTC 2016

Hi Dave,

based on my experience i would expect problems when old clients trying
to access a volume with an upgraded gfs.
as mentioned recently i upgraded step by step from 3.4.7 to 3.7.6 and as
far as i can remember i had problems with a 3.4.7 client when accessing
a 3.5 volume. because of the geo-replication problem i was under
pressure and have not been focused no such problems...afterwards i
upgraded all the clients as recommended before they accessed the volume
and i never had problems again.

...except this little example :
gluster volume is a 6 node dist.repl. running 14.04 LTS with gfs
3.7.6...the volume is accessed by some 3.7.6 clients and there is still
one client with 12.04 LTS and gfs 3.6.7 (3.7 is not available on 14.04
:( so i have to update the entire node...).
two days ago i tried to set the geo-replication.indexing to off.

[ 21:01:49 ] - root at gluster-ger-ber-08
/var/lib/misc/glusterfsd/ger-ber-01 $gluster volume set ger-ber-01
geo-replication.indexing off
volume set: failed: Staging failed on gluster-ger-ber-12-int. Error: One
or more connected clients cannot support the feature being set. These
clients need to be upgraded or disconnected before running this command
again

after disconnecting the client with gfs 3.6.7 (the 3.7.6 clients are
still connected)  :

[ 21:05:03 ] - root at gluster-ger-ber-08
/var/lib/misc/glusterfsd/ger-ber-01 $gluster volume set ger-ber-01
geo-replication.indexing off
volume set: success
[ 21:12:56 ] - root at gluster-ger-ber-08 /var/lib/misc/glusterfsd/ger-ber-01 $

afterwards i was able to connect the 3.6.7 client again.
i don't know all the features being supported by the different gfs
versions but this example should show that they exist.
a developer could tell you much more about this...

i have to mention that i always followed the 'scheduling a downtime'
part like in :
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Upgrade_to_3.5

hope that helps...
best regards