[Gluster-users] Fail of one brick lead to crash VMs

Krutika Dhananjay kdhananj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 17:03:36 UTC 2016

Hi Dominique,

I saw the logs attached. At some point all bricks seem to have gone down as I see
[2016-01-31 16:17:20.907680] E [MSGID: 108006] [afr-common.c:3999:afr_notify] 0-cluster1-replicate-0: All subvolumes are down. Going offline until atleast one of them comes back up.
in the client logs.

This *may* have been the reason for the VMs going offline.

Also, Steve's inputs are correct wrt the distinction between server quorum and client quorum. Usually it is recommended that you do the following things while using Gluster for VM store use case:

i) use replica 3 (as opposed to replica 2) volume. In your case the third node should also be used to host a brick of the volume.
You can use arbiter feature if you want to minimise the cost of investing in three machines.
Check this out: https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/release-3.7.0/Features/afr-arbiter-volumes/

Also if you plan to use arbiter, it is recommended that you do so with glusterfs-3.7.8 as it contains some critical bug fixes.

ii) Once you're done with 1), enable group virt option on the volume:
# gluster volume set <VOLNAME> group virt
which will initialise the volume configuration specifically meant to be used for VM store use case (including initialisation of the right quorum options) in one step.

iii) have you tried sharding yet? If not, you could give that a try too. It has been found to be useful for VM store workload.
Check this out: http://blog.gluster.org/2015/12/introducing-shard-translator/

Let me know if this works for you.

-Krutika