[Gluster-users] Upgrading ancient gluster version

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Feb 11 09:53:38 UTC 2016

I'm finally hoping to be able to upgrade a relatively ancient gluster
3.4.2 on Ubuntu 14.04 to a more modern version of Gluster and want to
verify that I am prepared.

I currently have two gluster servers and hope to have all volumes in a
mirror configuration prior to upgrading. There are various clients, most
of which I can directly control. We do not currently use quota or
geo-replication, which I understand should simplify the process.

First off, what version should I be targeting? The goal (aside from
being up to date) is small file performance. From what I have read, the
best option is to use the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~gluster/, is
that still correct?

I'm not certain if I can get the clients to all shut down and
disconnect, if not, will it hurt me if 3.4.2 clients are attempting to
connect? I will be scheduling a maintenance window and could firewall
them off until they're upgraded if needed. From reading
https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Upgrade-Guide/Upgrade%20to%203.7/
in the "Pre-upgrade" section it looks like I should probably firewall
off clients until I confirm they're upgraded, is that correct?

Finally, what is the rollback procedure if I encounter problems? Can I
revert to the old version of gluster and use my existing bricks?

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or any significant changes
that are likely to cause issues other than the upgrade process itself?

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/