[Gluster-users] Increasing replica count from 2 to 3

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Thu Dec 29 04:26:58 UTC 2016

On 12/29/2016 07:30 AM, Jackie Tung wrote:
> Version is 3.8.7 on Ubuntu xenial.
>
> On Dec 28, 2016 5:56 PM, "Jackie Tung" <jackie at drive.ai
> <mailto:jackie at drive.ai>> wrote:
>
>     If someone has experience to share in this area, i'd be grateful.
>     I have an existing distributed replicated volume, 2x16.
>
>     We have a third server ready to go. Redhat docs say just run add
>     brick replica 3, then run rebalance.
>
>     The rebalance step feels a bit off to me. Isn't some kind of heal
>     operation in order rather than rebalance?
>
>     No additional usable space will be introduced, only replica count
>     increase from 2 to 3.

You don't need to run re-balance for increasing the replica count. Heals
should automatically be triggered when you run 'gluster vol add-brick
<volname> replica 3 <list of bricks for the 3rd replica>`. It is
advisable to do this when there is no I/O happening  on the volume. You
can verify that files are getting populated in the newly added bricks
post running the command.

-Ravi