[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Talks and topics that need presenters (WAS: CFP for Gluster Developer Summit)

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 18:08:34 UTC 2016

On 08/13/2016 03:59 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> In addition to Vijays request to submit talks, I would like to see some
> very specific topics presented/demo'd. Anyone attending the Summit and
> willing to take these on is very much encouraged to do so. To do so,
> topic.
>
> If others would like to see other topics, please add them to the list.
>
> Many thanks,
> Niels
>

> Practical Glusto example
>  - show how to install Glusto and dependencies
>  - write a simple new test-case from scratch (copy/paste example?)
>  - run the new test-case (in the development environment?)
>
> Debugging (large) production deployments
>  - tools that can be used for debugging on non-development systems
>  - filtering logs and other data to identify problems
>  - coming up with the root cause of the problem
>  - reporting a useful bug so that developers can fix it
>
> Making troubleshooting easier
>  - statedumps, how code tracks allocations, how to read the dumps
>  - io-stats, meta and other xlators
>  - useful, actionable log messages

Squashing the above 2 topics and throwing in monitoring, I would even
propose a BoF, to understand what are the current challenges and
proposed/applied solutions to the problem of "monitoring and
troubleshooting distributed systems at scale" and specifically Gluster.

For example I have some thoughts on performance monitoring at scale,
that we need to improve in Gluster. Identifying more such problems would
enable Gluster to become more easier to manage and tune.

Another problem area is in the container world, where we possibly lose
some ability to influence/troubleshoot clients and hence we may need
alternative for the same (centralized logging? server side state dump
collection from clients? server side monitoring/collection of client
performance (and other) metrics? What else). This could also be factored
into the discussions.