[Gluster-users] Gluster inside containers

Humble Devassy Chirammal humble.devassy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:48:49 UTC 2016

Hi Zach,

*Option 1*. 3 Gluster nodes, one large volume, divided up into subdirs (1
for each website), mounting the respective subdirs into their containers &
using ACLs & LXD’s u/g id maps (mixed feelings about security here)

Which version of GlusterFS is in use here ? because gluster sub directory
support patch is available in upstream, however  I dont think its in a good
state to consume. Yeah, if the subdirectory mount is performed we have to
take enough care to make sure the isolation of the mounts between multiple
user, ie security is a concern here.

*Option 2*. 3 Gluster nodes, website-specifc bricks on each, creating
website-specific volumes, then mounting those respective volumes into their
containers. Example:
    gnode-1
    - /data/website1/brick1
    - /data/website2/brick1
    gnode-2
    - /data/website1/brick2
    - /data/website2/brick2
    gnode-3
    - /data/website1/brick3
    - /data/website2/brick3

Yes, this looks to be an ideal or more consumable approach to me.

*Option 3*. 3 Gluster nodes, every website get’s their own mini “Gluster
Cluster” via LXD containers on the Gluster nodes. Example:
    gnode-1
    - gcontainer-website1
      - /data/brick1
    - gcontainer-website2
      - /data/brick1
    gnode-2
    - gcontainer-website1
      - /data/brick2
    - gcontainer-website2
      - /data/brick2
    gnode-3
    - gcontainer-website1
      - /data/brick3
    - gcontainer-website2
      - /data/brick3

This is very difficult or complex to achieve and maintain.

In short,  I would vote for option 2.

Also for safer side,  you may need take snapshot of the volumes or
configure a backup for these volumes to avoid single point of failure.

Please let me know if you need any details.

--Humble