[Gluster-users] Tiered Volumes and Backups

Dan Lambright dlambrig at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 14:01:53 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----

By default, files are marked for promotion on the first I/O. So if you did a backup and touched every file, they would all be marked for promotion. You ought to be able to change that, so only files touched some number of times (2X?) are promoted. See the "cluster.write-freq-threshold" setting below.

What size files are you using? The way things work (right now), the smaller the file, the less benefit you will see... the cost of metadata round trips (LOOKUPS) start to exceed faster data transfers from SSDs. Many efforts are going into trying to fix that... this same problem may be holding back benefits from RDMA and other areas as well.

Option: cluster.write-freq-threshold
Default Value: 0
Description: Defines the number of writes, in a promotion/demotion cycle, that would mark a file HOT for promotion. Any file that has write hits less than this value will be considered as COLD and will be demoted.