[Gluster-users] how to detach the peer off line, which carries data

Atin Mukherjee atin.mukherjee83 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 15:04:41 UTC 2016

-Atin
Sent from one plus one
On 30-Apr-2016 8:20 PM, "袁仲" <yzlyourself at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a scenes like this:
>

> I have 3 peers.  eg. P1, P2 and P3, and each of them has 2 bricks,
>
> e.g. P1 have 2 bricks, b1 and b2.
>
>        P2 has 2 bricks, b3 and b4.
>
>        P3 has 2 bricks, b5 and b6.
>
> Based that above, I create  a volume (afr volume) like this:
>
> b1 and b3 make up a replicate subvolume   rep-sub1
>
> b4 and b5  make up a replicate subvolume  rep-sub2
>
> b2 and b6  make up a replicate sub volume rep-sub3
>
> And rep-sub1,2,3 make up a distribute volume, AND start the volume.
>

> now, p1 has a crash or it just disconnected. I want to detach P1 and the
volume has started absolutely can’t be stop or deleted. so I did this:
 gluster peer detach host-P1.

This is destructive, detaching a peer hosting bricks is definitely needs to
be blocked otherwise technically you loose the volume as Gluster is a
distributed file system. Have you tried to analyze why the node has
crashed? And is there any specific reason why do you want to stop the
volume as replication gives you the high availability and your volume would
still be accessible.  Even if you want to stop the volume, try the
following:

1. Restart glusterd, if it still fails go to 2nd step
2. Go for a peer replacement procedure

Otherwise, you may try out volume stop force, it may work too.

> but it does not work, the reason is that  P1 has bricks on it according
to the glusterfs error message printed on shell.

> so, I comment out  the code leaded the error above, and try again. I it
really works. Its amazing. And the VM runs on the volume is all right.

> BUT, this leads a big problem that  the glusterd restart failed. Both on
P2 and P3, but when I remove the stuff below /var/lib/glusterfs/vols/, it
restarts success. so, I wander that there is something about volume.