[Gluster-users] File replicas out of sync/How to force heal on a file

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 06:13:45 UTC 2016

On 24/04/2016 11:12 AM, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> esterday I stopped the volume and ran a md5sum on all the shards to
> compare the 3 replicas. All 15 VM images were identical except for one
> (vm-307). It has 2048 shards of which 8 differed.
>
> volume heal info lists *no* files needing healed.
>
> Two things concern me:
>
> 1. How did this happen? trust in gluster either keeping replica's
> sync'd or knowing when they are not is crucial.
>
> 2. How do I force a heal of an individual file? I can find no
> documentation as to this process or even if it is possible.
>
> I do have one possible solution - delete the vm image and restore from
> backup. Not ideal.
>

> Notes:
> - I did have a hard disk failure on a brick while testing. ZFS
> recovered it with no errors.
>
> - My testing was reasonably severe - server reboots and killing of the
> gluster processes. All things that will happen in a cluster life time.
> I was pleased with how well gluster handled them.

Duplicating from a separate msg how I resolved the immediate issue:

I used diff3 to compare the checksums of the shards and it revealed that
seven of the shards were the same on two bricks (vna & vng) and one of
the shards was the same on two other bricks (vna & vnb). Fortunately
none were different on all 3 bricks :)

Using the checksum as a quorum I deleted all the singleton shards (7 on
vnb, 1 on vng), touched the file owner and issule a "heal full". All 8
shards were restored with matching checksums for the other two bricks. A
rechack of the entire set of shards for the vm showed all 3 copies as
identical and the VM itself is functioning normally.

Its one way to manually heal up shard mismatches which gluster hasn't
detected, if somewhat tedious. Its a method which lends itself to
automation though.

--
Lindsay Mathieson