[Gluster-users] File replicas out of sync/How to force heal on a file

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 01:12:10 UTC 2016

I have two problems here. I have a replica 3 sharded volume, gluster
3.7.11 for VM Images.

Yesterday I stopped the volume and ran a md5sum on all the shards to
compare the 3 replicas. All 15 VM images were identical except for one
(vm-307). It has 2048 shards of which 8 differed.

volume heal info lists *no* files needing healed.

Two things concern me:

1. How did this happen? trust in gluster either keeping replica's sync'd
or knowing when they are not is crucial.

2. How do I force a heal of an individual file? I can find no
documentation as to this process or even if it is possible.

I do have one possible solution - delete the vm image and restore from
backup. Not ideal.

Notes:
- I did have a hard disk failure on a brick while testing. ZFS recovered
it with no errors.

- My testing was reasonably severe - server reboots and killing of the
gluster processes. All things that will happen in a cluster life time. I
was pleased with how well gluster handled them.

--
Lindsay Mathieson