[Gluster-users] Freezing during heal

Krutika Dhananjay kdhananj at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 14:47:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Kevin Lemonnier <lemonnierk at ulrar.net>
wrote:

> I will try migrating to 3.7.10, is it considered stable yet ?

Oops, just realized 3.7.10 had a regression. Then 3.7.11 it is. :)

> Should I change the self heal algorithm even if I move to 3.7.10, or is
> that not necessary ?
> Not sure what that change might do.

So the other algorithm is 'diff' which computes rolling checksum on chunks
of the src(es) and sink(s), compares them and heals upon mismatch. This is
known to consume lot of CPU. 'full' algo on the other hand simply copies
the src into sink in chunks. With sharding, it shouldn't be all that bad
copying a 256MB file (in your case) from src to sink. We've used double the
block size and had no issues reported.

So you could change self heal algo to full even in the upgraded cluster.

-Krutika