[Gluster-users] Gluster on ZFS with Compression

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 05:00:54 UTC 2015

I'm revisiting Gluster for the purpose of hosting Virtual Machine images
(KVM). I was considering the following configuration

2 Nodes
- 1 Brick per node (replication = 2)
- 2 * 1GB Eth, LACP Bonded
- Bricks hosted on ZFS
- VM Images accessed via Block driver (gfapi)

ZFS Config:
- Raid 10
- SSD SLOG and L2ARC
- 4 GB RAM
 - Compression (lz4)

Does that seem like an sane layout?

Question: With the gfapi driver, does the vm image appear as a file on the
host (zfs) file system?

Background: I currently have our VM's hosted on Ceph using a similar config
as above, minus zfs. I've found that the performance for such a small setup
is terrible, the maintenance headache is high and when a drive drops out,
the performance gets *really* bad. Last time I checked, gluster was much
slower at healing large files than ceph, I'm hoping that has improved :)

--
Lindsay