[Gluster-users] What is the recommended backup strategy for GlusterFS?

Merlin Morgenstern merlin.morgenstern at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:05:05 UTC 2015

I have about 1M files in a GlusterFS with rep 2 on 3 nodes runnnig gluster
3.7.3.

What would be a recommended automated backup strategy for this setup?

I already considered the following:

1) glusterfs snapshots in combination with dd. This unfortunatelly was not
possible so far as I could not find any info on how to make a image file
out of the snapshots and how to automate the snapshot procedure.

2) rsync the mounted file share to a second directory and do a tar on the
entire directory after rsync completed

3) combination of 1 and 2. Doing a snapshot that gets mounted automaticaly
and then rsync from there. Problem: How to automate snapshots and how to
know the mount path

Currently I am only able to do the second option, but the fist option seems
to be the most atractive.

Thank you for any help on this.