[Gluster-users] Rebooting gluster nodes make VMs pause due to storage error

Tomo Takebe tomo at isc.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 27 18:01:53 UTC 2015

Hi Nicolas,

Here are my experiences with GlusterFS 3.6 & 3.7 on a dual-replica set up.

First of all, setting the "network.ping-timeout" to a low value (3-5 seconds) helps in avoiding a 42 second freeze on the clients as mentioned in other threads.  This value seems to matter even if the clients are currently connected to the glusterd running on the host that's not going down.

Second, I found that there's a particular order that gluster processes need to stop in order to avoid disrupting the volume and avoid freezing on the clients that aren't connected to the glusterd host that's going down.

1) kill the glusterfs process   (/usr/bin/killall glusterfs)
2) stop the glusterfsd service (/etc/init.d/glusterfsd stop)
3) stop the glusterd service (/etc/init.d/glusterd stop)

Stopping the glusterd service before killing glusterfs & glusterfsd seems to cause freezing on the clients for the duration of ping-timeout.
In our case we have a NFS client/server set up on both hosts so we don't have to worry about client side failover.

Tomo Takebe
Information Systems & Computing
University of Pennsylvania