[Gluster-users] Unnecessary healing in 3-node replication setup on reboot

Udo Giacomozzi udo.giacomozzi at indunet.it
Fri Oct 16 09:43:15 UTC 2015

Am 16.10.2015 um 02:25 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:

> On 15 October 2015 at 17:26, Udo Giacomozzi <udo.giacomozzi at indunet.it
> <mailto:udo.giacomozzi at indunet.it>> wrote:
>
>     My problem is, that every time I reboot one of the nodes, Gluster
>     starts healing all of the files. Since they are quite big, it
>     takes up to ~15-30 minutes to complete. It completes successfully,
>     but I have to be extremely careful not to migrate VMs around
>     because that results in corrupted files.
>

> Sorry meant to ask this earlier - when rebooting one node in a replica
> 3 gluster, then any files written to why the node is rebooting will
> need to be healed. Given your files are VM running images that will be
> all of them. So healing all the files sounds like the correct behaviour.

Hi Lindsay,

so given the following situation:

  * all VMs are running on node #1 or #2
  * *no* VMs are running on node #3, so *no Gluster files touched there*
  * node #3 reboots

So, in such a situation it would be normal that all Gluster files will
be healed afterwards? Given the time it takes and the network load
measured it apparently does /not /do a simple metadata check, but rather
seems to transfer the *contents* of all the files across the network.

Is that normal behavior?

Udo