[Gluster-users] EC planning

Serkan Çoban cobanserkan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 14:52:11 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am planning to use GlusterFS for backup purposes. I write big files
(>100MB) with a throughput of 2-3GB/sn. In order to gain from space we plan
to use erasure coding. I have some questions for EC and brick planning:
- I am planning to use 200TB XFS/ZFS RAID6 volume to hold one brick per
server. Should I increase brick count? is increasing brick count also
increases performance?
- I plan to use 16+2 for EC. Is this a problem? Should I decrease this to
12+2 or 10+2? Or is it completely safe to use whatever we want?
- I understand that EC calculation is performed on client side, I want to
know if there are any benchmarks how EC affects CPU usage? For example each
100MB/sn traffic may use 1CPU core?
- Is client number affect cluster performance? Is there any difference if I
connect 100 clients each writing with 20-30MB/s to cluster vs 1000 clients
each writing 2-3MB/s?

Thank you for your time,
Serkan