[Gluster-users] How to replace a dead brick? (3.6.5)

sreejith kb sree15081947 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:28:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

     While you removing a failed brick from four existing cluster volume
try to provide the correct replica number  *'n-1' *while removing a brick
from 'n' number of bricks from a gluster volume.

so here you are trying to remove one brick from a volume that contain 2
number of bricks in total, so do like this

gluster volume remove-brick datastore1 replica *1*
vnb.proxmox.softlog:/glusterdata/datastore1c
 force.

Follow the same strategy while adding a brick to an existing cluster
volume. provide replica number as 'n+1'

and if you are using a cloned VM that already contains  gluster packages
installed on it and have some gluster volume/peer/brick information on it,
then reset those values( including extended attributes )  and then only add
that new node/brick to your existing cluster.

and if you are replacing a failed node with a new one that having the same
IP, then after probing the peer you have to set the volume attributes on it
and restart the gluster-server service, then everything will be fine. If
you have anymore doubt in that feel free to contact.

regards,
sreejith K B,
sree15081947 at gmail.com
mob:09895315396

On 7 October 2015 at 12:36, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> First up - one of the things that concerns me re gluster is the incoherent
> state of documentation. The only docs linked on the main webpage are for
> 3.2 and there is almost nothing on how to handle failure modes such as dead
> disks/bricks etc, which is one of glusters primary functions.
>
> My problem - I have a replica 2 volume, 2 nodes, 2 bricks (zfs datasets).
>
> As a test, I destroyed one brick (zfs destroy the dataset).
>

> Can't start the datastore1:
>
>   volume start: datastore1: failed: Failed to find brick directory
> /glusterdata/datastore1 for volume datastore1. Reason : No such file or
> directory
>
> A bit disturbing, I was hoping it would work off the remaining brick.
>
> Can't replace the brick:
>
>   gluster volume replace-brick datastore1
> vnb.proxmox.softlog:/glusterdata/datastore1
> vnb.proxmox.softlog:/glusterdata/datastore1-2 commit force
>
> because the store is not running.
>
> After a lot of googling I found list messages referencing the remove brick
> command:
> gluster volume remove-brick datastore1 replica 2
> vnb.proxmox.softlog:/glusterdata/datastore1c commit force
>
> Fails with the unhelpful error:
>
> wrong brick type: commit, use <HOSTNAME>:<export-dir-abs-path>
> Usage: volume remove-brick <VOLNAME> [replica <COUNT>] <BRICK> ...
> <start|stop|status|commit|force>
>
> In the end I destroyed and recreated the volume so I could resume testing,
> but I have no idea how I would handle a real failed brick in the future
>
> --
> Lindsay

Sreejith k b
Mob: 09895315396