[Gluster-users] What Gluster versions would you like to see in the CentOS Storage SIG?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 09:18:08 UTC 2015

Hi Gluster users running on CentOS!

As you may have heard before, we're planning on providing stable Gluster
releases and related packages through the CentOS Storage SIG [0]. We
would like to know what version of Gluster and which versions of CentOS
are most wanted by our users.

The current support for Gluster defines 3 stable releases at the time.
This means that 3.7, 3.6 and 3.5 are supported by the Gluster Community.
Once 3.8 is released, 3.5 will become unsupported and will not receive
any updates anymore. 3.8 is planned to be released early 2016 [1].

We can provide all Gluster packages for CentOS-7 and 6, but CentOS-5 can
only get recent versions of the Gluster client.

Now, we want to know which combinations our users like to see in the
CentOS Storage SIG:

 - CentOS-7 + GlusterFS 3.7: latest and greatest, will be included
 - CentOS-6 + GlusterFS 3.7: very much used release, also included

 - CentOS-7 + GlusterFS 3.6: some users, you?
 - CentOS-6 + GlusterFS 3.6: some users, you?

 - CentOS-7 + GlusterFS 3.5: fewer users, you?
 - CentOS-6 + GlusterFS 3.5: fewer users, you?

 - CentOS-5 + GlusterFS 3.7 (client only): nobody?
 - CentOS-5 + GlusterFS 3.6: nobody?
 - CentOS-5 + GlusterFS 3.5: nobody?

Please speak up and let us know what versions you depend on for next few
months. You can reply to this email to the list (note that it is
x-posted, one mailinglist is sufficient for your reply), directly to me
or over IRC in #centos-devel or #gluster.

Many thanks,
Niels

0. https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage
1. https://www.gluster.org/community/roadmap/