[Gluster-users] Getting the best performance v lowest energy use and small form factor

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:41:39 UTC 2015

On 4 November 2015 at 06:37, Thing <thing.thing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at running a 2 node gluster setup to feed a small Virtualisation
> setup.  I need it to be low energy use, low purchase cost and small form
> factor so I am looking at 2 mini-itx motherboards.
>
> Does anyone know what sort of throughput I can expect? ie I am looking for
> as good as a single drive in the VMare/kvm box but simply having redundancy
> for data protection and availability so nothing huge is required.

Well read throughput is going to depend entirely on your drives and
network, write through put almost certainly bound by your network. It
probably won't be as good as a single drive by itself - realtime
replication by its nature is going to be slower..

For your sort of setup I'd be looking at a ZFS setup, RAID1 or 10 if you
can afford it with a SSD read/write cache (easy with ZFS), it will have
pretty good performance and lots of extra goodies such as snapshots,
compression (very good), checksuming/bitrot detection. That in and of
itself with have data redundancy on the one PC.

If you absolutely need redundancy across two PC's then you could setup a
2nd ZFS server and use ZFS's builtin differential snapshots to replicate to
the 2nd server on a regular interval.

--
Lindsay