[Gluster-users] Network Topology Question

M S Vishwanath Bhat msvbhat at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:25:12 UTC 2015

On 22 May 2015 at 12:11, Patrick Ernst <patrick.ernst at bullites.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm planning to setup a 3-Node Cluster for oVirt and would like to use 56
> GBe (RoCe)
> exclusively for GlusterFS. Since 56 GBe switches are far too expensive
> and  it's not
> planned to add more nodes and furthermore this would add a SPOF I'd like
> cross connect the nodes as shown in the diagram below:
>
> Node 1   Node 2    Node3
>   ||_______||________||
>   |___________________|
>
> This way there's a dedicated 56 Gbit connection to/from each member node.
>
> Is is possible to do this with GlusterFS?

IIUC, you have a 56Gbe dedicated network among glusterfs servers. Right?

If that is correct, it's not going to help much. In glusterfs clustering
(distribution/replication) is done by the client. So having a faster
connection from client to servers would be helpful.
Only glusterds (and glustershd as well???)  talk to each other among
servers.  Maybe be someone can elaborate more.

My first thought was to have different IPs on each node's /etc/host mapped
> to the node
> hostnames but I'm unsure if I can force GlusterFS to hostnames instead of
> IPs.

Yes, you can use any properly resolvable hostname with  gluster.

HTH

Best Regards,
Vishwanath