[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Gluster 3.7.0 released

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri May 15 08:18:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 02:41:50AM +0100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 14 May 2015, at 10:19, Vijay Bellur <vbellur at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am happy to announce that Gluster 3.7.0 is now generally
> > available. 3.7.0 contains several new features and is one of our
> > more feature packed releases in recent times. The release notes [1]
> > contains a description of new functionality added to 3.7.0. In
> > addition to features, 3.7.0 also contains several bug fixes and
> > minor improvements. It is highly recommended to test 3.7.0
> > thoroughly for your use cases before deploying in production.
> >
> > Gluster 3.7.0 can be downloaded from [2]. Upgrade instructions can
> > be found at [3]. Packages for various distributions will be
> > available shortly at the download site.
> <snip>
>
> 3.7.0 won't be packaged into Ubuntu LTS nor CentOS EPEL will
> it? (I'm meaning their official external repos, not
> download.gluster.org)
>
> If there's any chance they might be, can we can get that
> blocked until 3.7.x so people on 3.6.3 aren't automatically
> upgraded via package update.

This fully depends on the maintainers of the distributions. For Fedora,
glusterfs-3.7.x will only land in Fedora 23, the other Fedora versions
will stay on their stable branches. Users of packages from the
distributions should not be worried that the version they are running
suddenly gets replaced with the brand new 3.7.0.

The packages are not in Fedora EPEL (which is what CentOS uses too?).

I do not know what the plan for the GlusterFS packages in the CentOS
Storage SIG is. If the 3.6.x packages from the SIG are not in the stable
repository yet, I would suggest the SIG to do the update to 3.7.x now
already.

Cheers,
Niels