[Gluster-users] Fwd:Re: client is terrible with large amount of small files

Kamal kamalakannan at zohocorp.com
Tue May 5 10:13:40 UTC 2015

Hi Vijay,

      We Tried the same. But its doesn't improve speed.

For testing glusterfs, we are running storage in virtual machines. Is that will make any difference ?
But, copying the same folder between two storage machines is really fast. fyi.

Regards,
Kamal

---- On Tue, 05 May 2015 15:08:27 +0530 Vijay Bellur<vbellur at redhat.com> wrote ----

On 05/05/2015 12:59 PM, Kamal wrote:
> Hi Amukher,
>
> Even after upgrade to 3.7 small files transfer rate is slow.
>
> Below is the volume info.
>
> Volume Name: integvol1
> Type: Replicate
> Volume ID: 31793ba4-eeca-462a-a0cd-9adfb281225b
> Number of Bricks: 1 x 2 = 2
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: integ-gluster1:/srv/sdb2/brick4
> Brick2: integ-gluster2:/srv/sdb2/brick4
> Options Reconfigured:
> server.event-threads: 30
> client.event-threads: 30
> ----
>
> I understand that for replication it would take some more time, but
> here its taking more time.
>

> Time taken for git clone in non gluster directory = 25 sec
>
> Time taken for git clone in gluster directory = 14 minutes
>
> Its a huge difference. Plz let me know any other tuning parameters need
> to be done.

I have seen this before and it primarily seems to be related to the
readdir calls done by git clone.

Turning on these options might help to some extent:

gluster volume set <volname> performance.readdir-ahead on

gluster volume set <volname> cluster.readdir-optimize on

Please do let us know what you observe with these options enabled.

Regards,
Vijay