[Gluster-users] What should I do to improve performance ?

Joe Topjian joe at topjian.net
Wed Mar 25 14:11:06 UTC 2015

Just to clarify: the Cinder Gluster driver, which is comparable to the
Cinder NFS driver, uses FUSE:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/cinder/volume/drivers/glusterfs.py#L489-L499

Unless I'm mistaken, bootable volumes with Nova will use libgfapi (if
configured with qemu_allowed_storage_drivers), but the best ephemeral
instances can do is store the instances on a GlusterFS mounted
/var/lib/nova/instances.

We've also seen performance issues when running ephemeral instances on a
glusterfs mounted directory. However, we're using the Gluster Cinder driver
for volumes and have been mostly happy with it.