[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] Revamping the GlusterFS Documentation...

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Mon Mar 23 21:34:39 UTC 2015

On 23 Mar 2015, at 07:01, Shravan Chandrashekar <schandra at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> "The Gluster Filesystem documentation is not user friendly and fragmented" and this has been the feedback we have been receiving.
>
> We got back to our drawing board and blueprints and realized that the content was scattered at various places. These include:
>
> [Static HTML] http://www.gluster.org/documentation/
> [Mediawiki] http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/
> [In-source] https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/tree/master/doc
> [Markdown] https://github.com/GlusterFS/Notes
>
> and so on…
>
> Hence, we started by curating content from various sources including gluster.org static HTML documentation, glusterfs github repository,
> various blog posts and the Community wiki. We also felt the need to improve the community member's experience with Gluster documentation. This led us to put some thought into the user interface. As a result we came up with a page which links all content into a single landing page:
>
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Staged_Docs
>
> This is just our first step to improve our community docs and enhance the community contribution towards documentation. I would like to thank Humble Chirammal and Anjana Sriram for the suggestions and directions during the entire process. I am sure there is lot of scope for improvement.
> Hence, request you all to review the content and provide your suggestions.

Looks like a good effort.  Is the general concept for this to
become the front/landing page for the main wiki?

Also some initial thoughts:

 * Gluster Ant Logo image - The first letter REALLY looks like a C
   (to me), not a G.  Reads as "Cluster" for me...

   That aside, it looks really good. :)

 * "Getting Started" section ... move it up maybe, before the
   Terminology / Architecture / Additional Resources bit

   This is to make it more obvious for new people.

 * "Terminologies" should probably be "Terminology", as
   "Terminology" is kind of both singular and plural.

 * "All that Developers need to know" → "Everything Developers
   need to know"

They're my first thoughts anyway. :)

+ Justin

--