[Gluster-users] GlusterFS vs NFS mount question

Taylor Lewick tlewick at adknowledge.com
Wed Mar 18 13:58:42 UTC 2015

I'm looking at setting up a new Gluster Cluster, and I have a question regarding mounting the volumes via clients...

According to what I've read, the documentation varies, or doesn't cover this in the best detail.

It says the native glusterFS will provide the best concurrency.  And I've read if you are accessing lots of small files NFS is the best option.

My question is, if I choose to use NFS to mount the volumes on client machines, will this support concurrency amongst all the nodes, or when you provide the IP address of the storage node as part of the mount option in /etc/fstab or mount command, will all reads and write operations from that client hit just the server listed in the mountpoint?

Basically, if I use NFS, do I then need to remember to have the clients point to the different IPs of the physical storage nodes to balance IO, or do I need to setup a proxy of some sort for load balancing, or is gluster taking care of concurrency auto-magically even if I use NFS?

Thank you,
Taylor