[Gluster-users] adding a node

Pierre Léonard pleonard at jouy.inra.fr
Tue Mar 17 10:48:35 UTC 2015

Hi JF,
> Hello Pierre,
>
> I see your point and I understand your arguments. But as it happens, the
> way you create your volumes has an impact on what you can do afterward,
> and how you can expand them. *It has nothing to do with GlusterFS
> itself, nor the developers or the community, it's all in your
> architectural choices in the beginning.*
Yes Theoretical you are right. Here at INRA, we are in a specific unit
with a constant growing. But the budget is dedicated annually.
So I have build three clusters dedicated to different type of
computations and when the new plateform will need storage I have to
either build a new cluster or by a complete set of Four node or seven
node depending of my budget.
Our unit is not in a data-center profile for the computation, the
evolution is a continue process.

> It would be the same problem with many other distributed FS, or even
> some RAID setups. That is the kind of thing that you have to think about
> in the very beginning, and that will have consequences later.
Yes, that's the reason we have a scratch zone dedicated for the
computation and intermediate files, that is not secured all the user
know that it's like your DD in your PC. And other volume secured with
raid 5 and replica.
I think that the choice ar good for three years, the time for us to get
the first DD problems.

> As for your 14-node cluster, if it's again a distributed+striped volume,
> then it's a 2 × 7 volume (distributed over 2 brick groups, each being a
> 7-disk stripe). To extend it, you will have to add 7 more bricks to
> create a new striped brick group, and your volume will be transformed
> into a 3 × 7 one.
OK that's better.
> I would advise you to read carefully the master documentation pertaining
> to volume creation and architecture. Maybe it will help you understand
> better the way things work and the impacts of your choices:
>
> https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/admin-guide/en-US/markdown/admin_setting_volumes.md
I will.

Many thanks for you and All.

Sincerely.