[Gluster-users] Working but some issues

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Mar 16 04:14:20 UTC 2015

On 03/15/2015 06:06 PM, Melkor Lord wrote:
> 2/ The documentation is scarce and lots of information are really hard
> to find. I'm new to this project but I spent countless time trying to
> figure out what options/directives I could use in
> /etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol without much success! There's no place to
> list every available option and in what context and/or configuration
> file it can be used! I found about "bind-address" by luck searching
> for other things :-) Something as complex as GlusterFS should have at
> least full documentation. I had to look at the source code to see what
> options could be used by "glusterfs" like the --remote-host mentioned
> in various places but properly documented nowhere :-(

I'll just address this one point in this email because it's such an
important one. This is not just an open-source project because some
company's developing a product and lets you have it for free, this is an
open-source *project*. We, the members of the community, are as
responsible for that problem as the folks that know how to write in C;
perhaps even more so.

I implore you to add your skills to improving the documentation. You
have the ability to see the documentation from a completely different
perspective from the folks that wrote the code. They may not have
documented --remote-host because they perhaps added it for an internal
reason and didn't expect users to use it. By looking at it from a
different perspective, you may see a need for documentation and have the
ability to implement it.