[Gluster-users] quorum sanity check please

Osborne, Paul (paul.osborne@canterbury.ac.uk) paul.osborne at canterbury.ac.uk
Mon Mar 9 12:16:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up some gluster backed fileservers as part of a LAMP stack, where a pair of web servers using autofs weighting mount a pair of gluster servers. It occurs to me that in order to help overcome split brain in the event of a DR scenario a quorum server would be useful with quorum set to 51% - so at this point I need to start thinking about the mounting.

Note that in terms of physical structure I have effectively (in the realms of vmware and real datacentres) 3 data centres so one web/gfs server in the primary, the same in the secondary and just the quorum server in the tertiary data centre (which really floats between the 2 and will (!) always be up). This way I can be fairly confident that each web server will always have access to either their local gfs server or the quorum server; which means I can take any component out for maintenance.

Does it make sense for me to have web1 mount gfs1 and gfsq, web2 to mount gfs2 and gfsq with weightings set to away from the quorum server?

I think this makes sense but experienced folk out there may tell me better.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Osborne