[Gluster-users] reading from local replica?

Brian Ericson bericson at ptc.com
Wed Jun 10 21:59:35 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 07:15 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>> In short, it would seem that either were I to use geo-repliciation,
>> whether recommended or not in this kind of usage, I'd need to own both
>> which volume to mount and what to do with writes when the client has
>> chosen to mount the slave.
>
> True.  Various active/active geo-replication solutions have been on
> the road map for some time, but in each release there are other things
> deemed more important.  :(

Thanks!  I've been playing around with geo-replication and am pretty
happy with it.

I'd like to create files in the slave volume and do some (manual) magic
(like rsync) to copy it to the master volume.  I'd like to do this to
avoid having to send the file twice (once to upload it to the master,
once more to geo-replicate it back to the slave).  I'd hoped to "trick"
glusterfs into not only not geo-replicating the file back, but also into
not "disowning" the slave's version, but while I'm succeeding at the
former, I'm not (consistently) achieving the latter.

Is there a way to accomplish avoiding the duplicate write while still
maintaining the "connection"?  (In my case, files are written once and,
possibly, only ever deleted down the road -- what I really want is to
not write 1GB+ files over my small pipe twice, while allowing a future
(master) delete of the same file to be geo-replicated back to the slave).

Also, thanks, too, for writing the bug.