[Gluster-users] geo-replication vs replicated volumes

Gabriel Kuri gkuri at ieee.org
Wed Jun 10 06:54:06 UTC 2015

I need some clarification on how geo-replication (gluster => 3.5) operates,
as I'm not fully understanding how the new and improved version works from
the docs.

Let's assume the following scenario, three servers setup in a geo-rep
cluster all separated by a WAN:

Does this scenario allow for a client with the a volume mounted to write to
any of the servers directly and the write then gets replicated from that
server to the other servers? For example, a client has the volume mounted
(via FUSE) on server C and writes a file, does that file get written to
server C directly and then the file replicates (asynchronously) to server A
and server B ? Or is it that the writes only occur on the "master" of that
geo-rep volume? I'm trying to understand if the replication for geo-rep
occurs in a master-master setup or if it's still master-slave ? What was
the big change for geo-rep in 3.5 ?

If it's not master-master, how does one get master-master replication
working over a WAN?

Thanks ...