[Gluster-users] Bareos backup from Gluster mount

André Bauer abauer at magix.net
Thu Jul 30 15:37:00 UTC 2015

Hi David,

i never used Bareos until now. We like to switch from Bacula in the
future but i think this will not happen before next Ubuntu LTS release
(16.04).

I also never directly compared with rsync but i think rsync is faster in
transfering because it does not have to do any compression and so on...

What i can say about Bacula on Glusterfs volumes is, that copying big
files works at reasonable speed while small files (especialy if there
are a lot) are a bit slow, whats in Glusterfs nature until versions
prior 3.6(?).

With Glusterfs 3.6 / 3.7 this should be a bit faster in the meantime but
i have no experience with the performance gains because i'm still on
Glusterfs 3.5.5.

In conclusion i still prefer Bacula over Rsync even if its slower.

Some more info about Glusterfs small file performance can be found here:

https://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Feature%20Planning/GlusterFS%203.7/Small%20File%20Performance/

Regards
André

Am 30.07.2015 um 15:23 schrieb David F. Robinson:
> Andre,
>
> I am looking at a backup alternative to rsnc for gluster. My storage system is growing and rsync takes too long on my system (300TB). Do you have any idea of the relative performance of bareos as compared to that of rsync? Can it be run in a multi-threaded mode? Rsync takes an extremely long time just searching the directory tree to figure out what to copy. Before digging into bareos, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on performance for gluster.
>
> David  (Sent from mobile)
>
> ===============================
> David F. Robinson, Ph.D.
> President - Corvid Technologies
> 704.799.6944 x101 [office]
> 704.252.1310      [cell]
> 704.799.7974      [fax]
> David.Robinson at corvidtec.com
> http://www.corvidtechnologies.com
>
>> On Jul 29, 2015, at 1:36 PM, André Bauer <abauer at magix.net> wrote:
>>
>> We're using Bacula (Bareos is a fork of it) for backups.
>> Never had any problems doing backups of Gluster volumes.
>>
>>> Am 27.07.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Ryan Clough:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have cross-posted this question in the bareos-users mailing list.
>>>
>>> Wondering if anyone has tried this because I am unable to backup data
>>> that is mounted via Gluster Fuse or Gluster NFS. Basically, I have the
>>> Gluster volume mounted on the Bareos Director which also has the tape
>>> changer attached.
>>>
>>> Here is some information about versions:
>>> Bareos version 14.2.2
>>> Gluster version 3.7.2
>>> Scientific Linux version 6.6
>>>
>>> Our Gluster volume consists of two nodes in distribute only. Here is the
>>> configuration of our volume:
>>> [root at hgluster02 ~]# gluster volume info
>>>
>>> Volume Name: export_volume
>>> Type: Distribute
>>> Volume ID: c74cc970-31e2-4924-a244-4c70d958dadb
>>> Number of Bricks: 2
>>> Transport-type: tcp
>>> Bricks:
>>> Brick1: hgluster01:/gluster_data
>>> Brick2: hgluster02:/gluster_data
>>> Options Reconfigured:
>>> performance.io-thread-count: 24
>>> server.event-threads: 20
>>> client.event-threads: 4
>>> performance.readdir-ahead: on
>>> features.inode-quota: on
>>> features.quota: on
>>> nfs.disable: off
>>> auth.allow: 192.168.10.*,10.0.10.*,10.8.0.*,10.2.0.*,10.0.60.*
>>> server.allow-insecure: on
>>> server.root-squash: on
>>> performance.read-ahead: on
>>> features.quota-deem-statfs: on
>>> diagnostics.brick-log-level: WARNING
>>>
>>> When I try to backup a directory from Gluster Fuse or Gluster NFS mount
>>> and I monitor the network communication I only see data being pulled
>>> from the hgluster01 brick. When the job finishes Bareos thinks that it
>>> completed without error but included in the messages for the job are
>>> lots and lots of permission denied errors like this:
>>> 15-Jul 02:03 ripper.red.dsic.com-fd JobId 613:      Cannot open
>>> "/export/rclough/psdv-2014-archives-2/scan_111.tar.bak": ERR=Permission
>>> denied.
>>> 15-Jul 02:03 ripper.red.dsic.com-fd JobId 613:      Cannot open
>>> "/export/rclough/psdv-2014-archives-2/run_219.tar.bak": ERR=Permission
>>> denied.
>>> 15-Jul 02:03 ripper.red.dsic.com-fd JobId 613:      Cannot open
>>> "/export/rclough/psdv-2014-archives-2/scan_112.tar.bak": ERR=Permission
>>> denied.
>>> 15-Jul 02:03 ripper.red.dsic.com-fd JobId 613:      Cannot open
>>> "/export/rclough/psdv-2014-archives-2/run_220.tar.bak": ERR=Permission
>>> denied.
>>> 15-Jul 02:03 ripper.red.dsic.com-fd JobId 613:      Cannot open
>>> "/export/rclough/psdv-2014-archives-2/scan_114.tar.bak": ERR=Permission

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
André Bauer

MAGIX Software GmbH
André Bauer