[Gluster-users] GlusterFS 3.7.2 and ACL

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 14:44:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 05:22:31PM +0300, Jüri Palis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another issue with NFS and sec=sys mode. As we all know there is a
> limit of 15 security ids involved when running NFS in sec=sys mode.
> This limit makes effective and granular usage of ACL assigned through
> groups almost unusable. One way to overcome this limit is to use
> kerberised NFS but GlusterFS does not natively support this access
> mode . Another option, at least  according to one email thread, states
> that  GlusterFS has an option server.manage-gids which should mitigate
> this limit and raise it to 90 something.  Is this the option, which
> can be used for increasing sec=sys limit. Sadly documentation does not
> have clear description about this option, what exactly this option
> does and how it should be used.

server.manage-gids is an option to resolve the groups of a uid in the
brick process. You probably need to also use the nfs.server-aux-gids
option so that the NFS-server resolves the gids of the uid accessing the
NFS-server.

The nfs.server-aux-gids option is used to overcome the
AUTH_SYS/AUTH_UNIX limit of (I thought 32?) groups.

The server.manage-gids option is used to overcome the GlusterFS protocol
limit of ~93 groups.

If your users do not belong to 90+ groups, you would not need to set the
server.manage-gids option, and nfs.server-aux-gids might be sufficient.

HTH,
Niels