[Gluster-users] 3.7 Arbiter and/or quorum

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Jul 15 17:09:14 UTC 2015

On 07/15/2015 09:22 PM, Scott Harvanek wrote:
> I saw Ravi mention something earlier about the new arbiter volumes in 3.7
>
> - Can you run a arbiter 3.7 server volume with 3.6 clients?  Or does
> this not work?

Unfortunately, no. This is because the logic for the feature is mostly
in the AFR translator which is loaded on the client process (with some
minor logic in the arbiter translator loaded on the brick process). So
both clients and servers need to be 3.7.

> Quorum question -
>
> - 3.6 server and clients, replica 2, however there's three+ servers in
> the cluster ( gluster pool list ).  If one of the replicas fail is
> quorum maintained via the other servers in the cluster even though
> they are not part of the volume?

That would depend on what type of quorum is enabled (client or server
side). Each type has a different impact. You can look for the meaning of
cluster.quorum-type, cluster.quorum-count (these are client side quorum
options, applicable only to replicate volumes) and
cluster.server-quorum-type, cluster.server-quorum-ratio (these are
server side quorum options; they are not specific to replicate volumes)
in 'gluster volume set help`.

HTH,
Ravi