[Gluster-users] [Gluster-devel] [Cross-posted] Re: Gentle Reminder.. (Was: GlusterFS Documentation Improvements - An Update)

Prashanth Pai ppai at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 07:06:28 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Niels de Vos" <ndevos at redhat.com>

+1

In Openstack Swift, we have the "specs" repo where design discussion over a feature
is carried out by devs. It's equivalent of GlusterFS feature pages but more lively.

http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/swift-specs/
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/swift-specs,n,z

> > Having history would be nice.  Gerrit and github both provides
> > reasonable inline-commenting facilities to support the kinds of
> > discussions that need to occur, plus a way to finalize the results of
> > those discussions with a commit.
>
> I do not agree that commenting in GitHub pull requests is usable.
> Comments get lost when a new version of the patch is posted, unless you
> have the URL to the actual git-commit of the previous version. This is
> one of the reasons why NFS-Ganesha moved from a GitHub based workflow to
> Gerrit.

+1 here too.
One either adds more commits after each round of review and end up having so many
commits in the tree or squash/amend the commit and lose history of comments.
For the same reasons, many openstack related projects have moved to to
stackforge (gerrit based) from github.