[Gluster-users] Replace brick 3.4.2 with 3.6.2?

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Tue Feb 24 21:19:45 UTC 2015

Hi All,

We have a gluster volume consisting of a single brick, using replica 2.
Both nodes are currently running gluster 3.4.2 and I wish to replace one
of the nodes with a new server (rigel), which has gluster 3.6.2

Following this link:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/2.1/html/Administration_Guide/Replacing_an_Old_Brick_with_a_New_Brick_on_a_Replicate_or_Distribute-replicate_Volume.html

I tried to do a replace brick but got "volume replace-brick: failed:
Host rigel is not in 'Peer in Cluster' state". Is this due to a version
incompatibility or is it due to some other issue? A bit of googling
reveals the error message in bug reports but I've not yet found anything
that applies to this specific case.

Incidentally, the clients (RHEV bare metal hypervisors, so we have no
upgrade option) are running 3.4.0. Will this be a problem if the nodes
are on 3.6.2?

regards,
John