[Gluster-users] basic architecture

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 16 04:33:33 UTC 2015

On 02/16/2015 04:20 AM, Ed Greenberg wrote:
> Something I don't understand.
>
> If I have two servers running gluster code, each with an attached brick,
> is there a master slave relationship or are they peers?
There is no master slave relationship here. Each brick can be considered
as individual storage entity.

> Supposing a have my brick mounted as a document root on each of the two
> servers, and am running an app, such as Wordpress, or Magento behind a
> load balancer:
>
> * If one goes down, and the other one continues, what happens when I
> bring the first one back?  Does the brick rebuild itself on the downed
> server?
If you have set up a replicated volume then once the brick comes back,
self heal will get kicked in and it will try to come in sync with its
replica pair.

> * What if I want to bring a third one into the mix? It comes up with an
> empty, or obsolete, brick.  How does the third brick get in sync?
I believe you are talking about add-brick command here. In that case at
the of provisioning it is ideally empty (we recommend to be it as empty)
and then once you kick in rebalance, this brick will also get load
balanced along with other bricks in the cluster.

> Thanks,
>
> Ed Greenberg

~Atin