[Gluster-users] (no subject)

Kyle Harris kyle.harris98 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 20:33:20 UTC 2015

Hello All,

I recently discovered the new arbiter functionality of the 3.7 branch so I
decided to give it a try.  First off, I too am looking forward to the
ability to add an arbiter to an already existing volume as discussed in the
following thread:
https://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2015-August/023030.html.

However, my first question for now is can someone perhaps go into a bit of
detail regarding the difference between using this new arbiter
functionality versus adding a dummy node with regards to helping to
eliminate split-brain?  In other words, a bit of information on which is
best and why?

Second, I noticed at the following URL where is discusses this new
functionality it says, and I quote "*By default, client quorum
(cluster.quorum-type) is set to auto . . ."* which I found to be a bit
confusing.  After setting up my new cluster I noticed that none of the
quorum settings including cluster.quorum-type seem to have a setting?

Arbiter Link
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/release-3.7/doc/features/afr-arbiter-volumes.md

Thank you.