[Gluster-users] gluster volume traffic shaping / throttling

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 04:18:58 UTC 2015

On 12/21/2015 08:25 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

> On 12/21/2015 02:26 PM, Mateusz Zajakala wrote:
>> Pranith,
>>
>> that sounds good, Option to configure relative priorities of READ and
>> WRITE operations would be probably sufficient in my case (as long as
>> it really affects the operations throughput).
>>
>> But what if you wanted to differentiate write/read priorities from
>> different clients? maybe it's worth thinking about some way to enable
>> this?
>
> Oh, these options will be on server side. So all clients will see same
> priorities. That is probably the reason why the Original developer
> didn't allow these priorities to be changed. I am not sure how we can
> configure in a generic way. Any thoughts?

All clients observing the same set of priorities does address the
initial problem discussed here.

Addressing the second one - configurable priorities based on client's
identity is something that we intend addressing as part of quality of
service in Gluster.next releases.

Mateusz - are there other use cases related to traffic
shaping/throttling that would interest you?

Thanks,
Vijay