[Gluster-users] Configuring Ganesha and gluster on separate nodes?

Jiffin Tony Thottan jthottan at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 10:12:10 UTC 2015

comments inline.

On 03/12/15 01:08, Surya K Ghatty wrote:

> Hi Soumya, Kaleb, all:
>
> Thanks for the response!
>

> Quick follow-up to this question - We tried running ganesha and
> gluster on two separate machines and the configuration seems to be
> working without issues.
>
> Follow-up question I have is this: what changes do I need to make to
> put the Ganesha in active active HA mode - where backend gluster and
> ganesha will be on a different node. I am using the instructions here
> for putting Ganesha in HA mode.
> http://www.slideshare.net/SoumyaKoduri/high-49117846. This
> presentation refers to commands like gluster
> cluster.enable-shared-storage to enable HA.
>
> 1. Here is the config I am hoping to achieve:
> glusterA and glusterB on individual bare metals - both in Trusted
> pool, with volume gvol0 up and running.
>

> Ganesha 1 and 2 on machines ganesha1, and ganesha1. And my gluster
> storage will be on a third machine gluster1. (with a peer on another
> machine gluster2).
>
> Ganesha node1: on a VM ganeshaA.
> Ganesha node2: on another vm GaneshaB.
>
> I would like to know what it takes to put ganeshaA and GaneshaB in
> Active Active HA mode. Is it technically possible?

Technically possible, but difficult to do that, u must manually follow
the steps which are internally by  "gluster nfs-ganesha enable"
(Kaleb will have clear idea about it)

> a. How do commands like cluster.enable-shared-storage work in this case?

you should manually configure a shared storage(an export which both
GaneshaA and GaneshaB can access)

> b. where does this command need to be run? on the ganesha node, or on
> the gluster nodes?

As a I mentioned before, u cannot do this with help of gluster cli if
ganesha cluster outside trusted pool.

I don't understand your requirement correctly, if it falls to any of the
following, I had answered according to my best knowledge

1.) "ganesha should run on nodes in which gluster volume(/bricks) is
created"
i.  created trust pool using glusterA, glusterB, GaneshaA, GaneshaB
ii. create volume using glusterA and glusterB
iii. add GaneshaA and GaneshaB on server list in ganesha-ha.conf file
iv then follow remaining the steps for exporting volume via nfs-ganesha

2.) "ganesha cluster(vms) should not be part of gluster trusted pool"
(hacky way)
  i.) created trusted pool using glusterA and glusterB.
ii.) create and start volume gvol0 using it
iii.) created trusted pool using GaneshaA and GaneshaB
iv.) before enabling nfs-ganesha option, add EXPORT{} for gvol0 in
/etc/ganesha/ganesha.conf
in both GaneshaA and GaneshaB

Note : The value for hostname in EXPORT{ FSAL {} } should be glusterA or
glusterB.

> 2. Also, is it possible to have multiple ganesha servers point to the
> same gluster volume in the back end? say, in the configuration #1, I
> have another ganesha server GaneshaC that is not clustered with
> ganeshaA or ganeshaB. Can it export the volume gvol0 that ganeshaA and
> ganeshaB are also exporting?

Yes it is possible, but u may need to start GaneshaC manually (running
two different ganesha clusters in trusted pool via cli is not supported)

> thank you!

Regards,
Jiffin